At Portlaoise Leisure Centre, we have swimming pools suited for those every step of the way, from the complete beginner right through to the pro. Our leisure centre boasts a 25 metre swimming pool, as well as a 10m teaching pool. There is also a separate pool for toddlers who are just starting to get used to the water. We offer swimming lessons to those aged six months and onwards. Our team are fully skilled and here to help those at every stage. We believe you are never too old to start learning!
Swimming is a skill that could save your life. Start your lessons today!
1. enter and exit the water safely.
2. take part in a teacher led game
3. demonstrate an understanding of pool rules.
4. move forwards, backwards, sideways for a distance of 5 metres each.
5. be at ease with water showered from overhead
6. blow bubbles a minimum of 3 times rhythmically with nose and mouth submerged
7. comfortably put face and ears in the water.
8. move into a stretched position using aids or equipment
9. regain an upright position from on the back with aids or equipment.
10. regain an upright position from on the front with aids or equipment
11. push and glide, to and from the wall with no aids or equipment.
1. regain upright position from the back without aids or equipment
2. push from wall and glide on back
3. kick on the back for 5 metres, no floats
4. kick on the front for 5 metres, no floats
5. perform a rotation from the front to the back to gain an upright position
6. perform a rotation from the back to the front to gain an upright position
7. fully submerge to pick up an object
8. demonstrate a tuck float (mushroom)
1. jump in from poolside safely and submerge.
2. perform on the back a head first sculling action for 5 metres in a horizontal position
3. push and glide on the front with arms extended and log roll onto the back.
4. push and glide on the back with arms extended and log roll onto the front.
5. kick 10 meters. (roll onto side or back to breath- after breathing roll onto front. body is to remain horizontal). without a board
6. swim 10 metres backstroke
7. swim 10 metres on the front using frontcrawl arm action
1. perform a handstand and hold for a minimum of 3 seconds
2. push and glide to pool floor
3. swim 10 metres backstroke (continuous arms)
4. swim 10 metres frontcrawl (demonstrating correct breathing technique)
5. an understanding of butterfly undulation movement
6. kick 10 metres inverted breaststroke
7. kick 10 metres breaststroke on the front
8. swim backstroke and roll in one continuous movement onto front
9. swim frontcrawl and roll in one continuous movement onto back
10. travel on the front then tuck to rotate around the horizontal axis to return on the back.
11. treading water for 10 seconds.
1. perform a feet first sculling action for 5 metres whilst horizontal on the back
2. perform a jump into deep water
3. tread water for 30 seconds
4. sink, push away from wall on side and maintain a streamlined position.
5. swim 10 metres backstroke
6. swim 10 metres front crawl
7. swim 10 metres breaststroke ( arm/ leg coordination)
8. kick 10 metres butterfly
9. perform a forward somersault, tucked, in the water
1. perform a jump into deep water
2. sink, push off on side from the wall, glide, kick and rotate into backstroke
3. sink, push off on side from the wall, glide, kick and rotate into front crawl
4. swim 25 metres backcrawl(maintaining good technique)
5. swim breaststroke to include rhythmical breathing (approx 15 metres maintaining good technique)
6. swim butterfly (to a minimum of 10 metres using correct arm/leg coordination)
7. swim 25 metres front crawl. (maintaining good technique)
8. perform a sitting dive from the poolside
9. perform a surface dive to pool floor
1. perform a kneeling dive
2. perform a standing dive
3. Perform a forward somersault, tucked, in the water
4. swim 25 meters backstroke
5. swim 25 metres breaststroke
6. swim 25 metres butterfly
7. swim 100 metres front crawl(maintaining good technique)
8. swim 100 metres using a minimum three different strokes
9. tread water using egg beater action for 30 seconds
1. complete a set lasting 400m
2. swim 400m continuously front crawl (maintaining good technique)
3. kick 25m backstroke
4. kick 25m breaststroke
5. kick 25m butterfly
6. kick 25m front crawl
7. perform a backstroke turn from 5m in to 5m out
8. perform a breaststroke turn from 5m in to 5m out
9. perform a butterfly turn from 5m in to 5m out
10. perform a front crawl turn from 5m in to 5-8m out
1. complete a set lasting 800m
2. swim 800m continuously frontcrawl. (maintaining good technique)
3. swim a continuous 100 I.M. (individual Medley) using legal turns
4. sink, push off perform a 5metre underwater kick on front in a streamlined position. (aim 10m)
5. perform a front crawl start(dive), kick underwater 10m, transfer to stroke, complete 25m.
6. perform a backstroke start, underwater kick (back or fly) to 5m, transfer to stroke, complete 25m
7. perform a butterfly start (dive), kick underwater to 10m, transfer to stroke, complete 25m.
8. perform a breastroke start, perform a legal underwater pull and transition to stroke
1. complete a set lasting 1600m
2. swim 1500m continuously front crawl (maintaining good technique)
3. perform a continuous 100 I.M. (individual medley) kick without using a kickboard.
4. swim a continuous 200 I.M. using legal turns.
5. perform a 10m underwater butterfly kick on back or front in a streamlined position.
6. perform a front crawl relay take over – as an oncoming swimmer.
7. perform a front crawl relay take over – as on outgoing swimmer